Archive for the ‘News briefs’ Category

News brief: Prank with gun not so funny

Monday, June 1st, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

Two men are jailed after they reportedly thought it would be funny to scare guests at a friend’s birthday party by driving by and firing several shots from a 22 caliber pistol outside Centralia.

It happened around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday at the 1700 block of Big Hanaford Road east of town, according to the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office.

Chief Deputy Stacy Brown says two of the victims, men in their late 20s, jumped in their vehicle and gave chase and one of the suspects fired off several more rounds.

They turned down Blue Road, a dead end, and arriving police and deputies took the suspects out their vehicle and into custody, according to Brown.

Nobody was hurt and it doesn’t appear anything was struck with the bullets, according to Brown.

Booked into the Lewis County Jail for first-degree assault and for drive by shooting were the driver, Edward A. Butterworth, 29, and the passenger, Ronald L. Orr, 26, according to the sheriff’s office.

They are both from Centralia, she said.

News brief: Loud neighbor music leads to sledge hammer attack

Monday, June 1st, 2015

Updated at 11:31 a.m.

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

A 59-year-old man was arrested last night for allegedly striking a neighbor in the face with a small sledge hammer in Centralia.

Police responded just before 10 p.m. to the incident at the 1300 block of Central Boulevard.

Officers concluded the dispute started over music being played loudly by the neighbor. The victim sustained a serious injury, according to the Centralia Police Department.

According to police, the 33-year-old victim was playing what was described as like loud rap music when Morris R Keith came over to his yard.

The victim was taken to Providence Centralia Hospital with a possible broken nose, Sgt. Stacy Denham said.

Keith was booked into the Lewis County Jail for first-degree assault, according to police.

He is tentatively scheduled to go before a judge this afternoon in Lewis County Superior Court.

Neighbor honored for courage to act when balcony caught fire

Friday, May 29th, 2015
2015.0529.rfaCitizenRecognition

Assistant Chief Rick Mack presents Gregory Gardner with a meritorious service award.

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

A Centralia man’s quick thinking and aggressive action averted a disastrous fire and has earned him the praise of the fire department.

When Riverside Fire Authority was dispatched to a residential structure fire in an apartment building on the 1400 block of Harrison Avenue, they encountered light smoke from one of upper units. They also encountered an occupant who said the fire on the second-story balcony had been put out with a fire extinguisher.

Riverside Assistant Chief Rick Mack says he also found a situation that made it clear they narrowly avoided what could have been much worse if not for Gregory Gardner.

Gardner, who lives in the adjacent apartment in the four unit building, was home and heard the commotion next door, according to Mack.

Gardner went to his balcony door, smelled smoke, stepped out and saw the developing fire.

“He jumped into action retrieving the fire extinguisher from the cabinet atop the staircase between the units,” Mack stated. “He entered the affected apartment, went to the balcony, and extinguished the fire; and separated some the burning materials to prevent re-ignition.”

When Mack, who is also the department’s fire marshal, examined the area, he noted that above the fire origin area was a vinyl-covered soffit and above that, an attic space.

While all the units have sprinklers, none of the tenants have sprinklers on their balconies, nor are there sprinklers in the attic, according to Mack.

The damage was minimal, burning a box, a small table and some of the vinyl siding. It was accidental due to smoldering, discarded cigarettes in a combustible container, according to the fire department.

Mack says Gardner’s actions saved the building, kept four families in their homes and may very well have saved lives that day.

The story of the events of April 23 were submitted in a nomination letter by Mack, and last night resulted in the presentation of a meritorious service award to Gardner.

The honor was bestowed at the fire authority board meeting.

Public Information Officer Scott Weinert offers advice to any other citizens who might use fire extinguishers.

“Using a fire extinguisher to put out a small fire can save lives and property,” Weinert writes. “But you have to know exactly what to do.”

Before the Fire

• Only adults should use a fire extinguisher.
• Choose an extinguisher that will work on all types of fires. These are usually called “ABC” type extinguishers.
• Choose the largest extinguisher you can handle – bigger is better.
• Read all the directions. Know how to use an extinguisher. If possible, get training from your local fire department or workplace that will let you practice putting out a fire.
• Keep the instructions so you can review them from time to time.
• Mount the extinguisher near an exit door, out of reach of children.

Fighting a Small Fire

• Make sure everyone else is leaving the home.
• Ask someone to call the fire department from outside.
• If the fire is small and not spreading, quickly get your extinguisher.
• Start with your back to the exit, making sure the fire does not block your escape route.
• Stand six to eight feet away from the fire.

Then, remember the word PASS:

• PULL the pin out to unlock the operating lever.
• AIM low: Point the extinguisher nozzle (or hose) at the base of the fire.
• SQUEEZE the handle to release the extinguishing agent. Be prepared. It will come out with force.
• SWEEP from side to side, moving carefully toward the fire. Keep the extinguisher aimed at the base of the fire, sweeping back and forth until all the flames are out.
• Watch the fire area. If the fire re-ignites, repeat the process.

Important: If the fire does not go out quickly, or if you feel at risk in any way, leave immediately and let the fire department handle it. Fighting a fire can be dangerous.

Only adults who know how and when to use an extinguisher should ever try to put out a fire, but children never should, according to Weinert.

 

News brief: Rochester’s beloved Candy Cottage ruined by fire

Thursday, May 28th, 2015
2015.0528.meagans.candy.cottage

Smoke billows from the eaves of the chocolate and espresso business on U.S. Highway 12. / Courtesy photo by West Thurston Regional Fire Authority

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

The candy store across from the middle school in Rochester is no more.

Fire broke out at the business on the 9900 block of U.S. Highway 12, and the smoke was noticed by a passing motorist who called 911 just before 6 o’clock this morning, according to the fire department.

The wooden structure built in approximately 1901 is a complete loss, a spokesperson for West Thurston Regional Fire Authority said.

Spokesperson Lt. Lanette Dyer said everything that was inside is lost as well.

“We tried to gain access through the front door, but there was so much smoke and heat, it actually pushed us back,” Dyer said.

Dyer said Meagan’s Candy Cottage, previously Conner’s Candy Cottage, has been a presence there for some 20 years, and was a candy shop before that as well.

They’re chocolatiers, known for their handmade product,  and a lovely family, she said.

“Obviously the community is in mourning,” she said.

Nobody was there at that hour, according to Dyer. And nobody was injured.

The cause of the fire is being investigated, but it’s not suspicious, she said.

A post on Meagan’s Candy Cottage’s Facebook page around 10 a.m. announced it was an electrical fire and they would be closed until further notice.

Dyer said the establishment leases the building from the property owner, and both have insurance.

2015.0528.inside.candy.cottage

The interior of the Candy Cottage is charred and smoke damaged. / Courtesy photo by West Thurston Regional Fire Authority

Vader toddler: Sentencings set later this summer

Thursday, May 28th, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – Brenda A. Wing appeared briefly in Lewis County Superior Court today, where a date was put on the calendar for her sentencing for her role in the death of a toddler who was staying in her Vader home.

2014.1107.JasperHenderlingWarner.small

Jasper Henderling-Warner

She and her husband Danny A. Wing, both 27, have each pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter and third-degree child assault. Jasper Henderling-Warner, 3, died from what the coroner labeled chronic battered child syndrome last Oct. 5.

Lewis County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Will Halstead and defense attorney John Crowley told the judge this afternoon they’d like the sentencing to be held at 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 21.

Authorities have spoken about the little boy’s injuries, but nothing has been shared publicly about how he got them.

Halstead said since the Wing’s plea agreements, they’ve gotten a lot of answers, but the case is still ongoing so further details would not be revealed until the sentencing hearings.

Danny Wing is scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 14. He and his wife remain held in the Lewis County Jail.
•••

For background, read, “Vader toddler: Few answers about death, after second guilty plea” from Thursday May 7, 2015, here

Another town meeting: Got a question for the sheriff, the prosecutor?

Monday, May 25th, 2015

By Sharyn  L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – The sheriff and the prosecutor have set aside an evening to talk with citizens, answer their questions and listen to their concerns.

2015.0322.2010.1112.rob.snaza_2 copy

Sheriff Rob Snaza

It takes place next month in Toledo, as part of their series of town meetings around Lewis County.

Lewis County Sheriff Rob Snaza and Prosecutor Jonathan Meyer conducted their first such gathering in March in Salkum.

Meyer called the first meeting successful and indicated he enjoyed it.

“Transparency in the prosecutor’s office is important and I am happy to share our successes and challenges with the public we serve,” he stated in a news release.

Snaza called it a great opportunity to have a conversation with citizens.

“Partnering together to address community issues is paramount to keeping Lewis County a safe place to live,” Snaza stated.

2013.1025.mugmeyer5669

Prosecutor Jonathan Meyer

The two elected officials plan to continue with similar meetings in various other communities around the county throughout the year.

Snaza, who is just beginning a four-year term, is introducing himself and his office to the people in other ways as well.

Earlier this month, he hosted what he called “A day in the life of the sheriff’s office” by inviting 10 people to spend a Saturday touring his facilities, and engaging in hands-on activities such as lifting fingerprints and participating in a shoot-don’t shoot simulation.

What: Town Meeting with Lewis County Sheriff Rob Snaza and Lewis County Prosecutor Jonathan Meyer
Where: Cowlitz Prairie Grange, 5184 Jackson Highway, Toledo.
When: Wednesday June 24, 2015
Time: 7:30 p.m.
•••

For background, read “Sheriff, prosecutor talk about changes in crime fighting efforts” from Sunday March 29, 2015, here

News brief: Phone service still down in Centralia

Friday, May 22nd, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

The large telephone service outage in Centralia that began on Tuesday continues with no estimate of when repairs will be finished.

A construction crew cut through CenturyLink’s communications cables affecting 1,172 customers.

Splicing of the repair cables continues around the clock, according to a spokesperson for CenturyLink. Spokesperson Brian Dalessi indicated he doesn’t know when it will be fixed.

The incident shutdown landline phone service and Internet service, but not cell phones, according to CenturyLink.

The area affected has been described in general terms only, as mostly west of Interstate 5.

Dispatchers at the Lewis County 911 center indicated on Wednesday afternoon the outage could last for 72 hours.
•••

For background, read “No phones, Internet for 1,172 Centralia customers” from Wednesday May 20 2015, here