Archive for the ‘News briefs’ Category

News brief: Man’s death in Winlock remains under investigation

Thursday, September 24th, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – The investigation into the death of a 44-year-old man found dead in a Winlock yard last week continues, but it will be awhile before the coroner knows the cause of death.

Deputies began investigating last Thursday afternoon at the 1700 block of Ferrier Road. Lewis County Sheriff’s Office Cmdr. Dusty Breen said the individual had been visiting people on the property.

Lewis County Coroner Warren McLeod yesterday released the name, saying James M. Lewis was a Winlock resident.

McLeod indicated he is waiting for test results.

News brief: Pickup plows through front door of auto parts store

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015
2015.0921.oreillyautopartstruck.smaller

Truck comes to rest just inside front door of O’Reilly Auto Parts. / Courtesy photo by Chehalis Police Department

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – A 19-year-old driver of a shiny red Ford Ranger that crashed through the glass front doors of a business in the Twin City Town Center yesterday told police her accelerator stuck.

Officers responding about 12:30 p.m. to the 1400 block of Northwest Louisiana Avenue found the pickup came to rest completely inside O’Reilly Auto Parts, according to the Chehalis Police Department.

Nobody was injured but one witness said he was returning a shopping cart when the truck came over the curb and nearly hit him, police said.

The Centralia teenager told the officer the gas pedal had stuck previously as well, police said.

No dollar estimate of the damage was available. A report was taken for informational purposes, but it didn’t appear the 19-year-old would be ticketed, according to a police department spokesperson.

2015.0921.truckthroughautopartsstore

The scene at the Twin City Town Center in Chehalis at mid-day on Monday. / Courtesy photo by Chehalis Police Department

News brief: Campfires are cool again

Saturday, September 19th, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

The city of Chehalis lifted its ban on recreational campfires yesterday following similar actions earlier in the week in the city of Centralia and in unincorporated areas of Lewis County.

But Chehalis Fire Chief Ken Cardinale wants the public to continue to be careful.

“I strongly encourage all city residents and property owners to still take proactive fire prevention measures,” Cardinale said in a news release yesterday afternoon.

2015.0919.campfire.withoutred

•••

Lee Napier, the Lewis County community development director, acting as the county fire marshal, on Monday indicated she made a careful review of the current and extended weather forecast and determined conditions within Lewis County have improved.

Recreational campfires are once again allowed in designated campgrounds and on private lands if built in the following manner, according to Napier:

• The campfire shall be no greater than three feet in diameter and constructed of a ring of metal, stone or brick 8-inches above surface with a two foot wide area clears down to exposed soil surrounding the outside of the pit.
• The campfire shall have an area at least 10 feet around it cleared of all flammable material and at least 20 feet of clearance from overhead flammable materials or fuels.
• The campfire must be attended at all time by a responsible person at least 16 years old with the ability to extinguish the fire with a shovel and a five-gallon bucket of water or with a connected and charged water hose.
• Completely extinguish campfires by pouring water or moist soil in them and stirring with a shovel until all parts are cool to the touch.

The use of self-contained camp stoves is encouraged as an alternative, Napier stated.

The city of Centralia announced the rules there are the same as those imposed by the county.

The state Department of Natural Resources announced just before Labor Day weekend it would allow campfires in established fire rings in official campgrounds on western Washington lands protected by DNR.

Right after Labor Day weekend, the Gifford Pinchot National Forest lifted its ban on campfires outside of developed recreation sites.

The forest service advised common sense measures such as building a campfire away from overhanging vegetation, removing all flammable materials from around the pit; and recommended using existing pits keeping fires small.

Fire Chief Cardinale offers additional information on how the public can protect their property from wildfires on the department’s web site.

Other outdoor burning in Lewis County remains prohibited until the restrictions imposed in mid-June are lifted by the Board of County Commissioners.

Anyone with questions can call their fire department. For further information on outdoor burning, Napier can be reached at 360-740-1146. The fire marshal’s office is in the Lewis County Public Services building, located at 2025 NE Kresky Avenue in Chehalis.

News brief: Identity released of fisherman who drowned

Friday, September 18th, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

The fisherman who was rescued from the current of the Cowlitz River but subsequently died has been identified as John S. Babbit, a 63-year-old resident of Gig Harbor.

Babbit was fly fishing about 500 yards downstream from the Blue Creek Boat Launch south of Ethel on Tuesday morning when witnesses saw him wade out into the water and he apparently slipped, according to authorities.

Another fisherman jumped in and pulled him to shore and a boater helped them across to the other side to meet an aid unit.

He was transported to Providence St. Peter Hospital where he died that afternoon, the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office said.

Thurston County Coroner Gary Warnock confirmed Babbit’s death was accidental and the result of drowning.

News brief: Death in Winlock under investigation

Friday, September 18th, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

Deputies are investigating a death at the 1700 block of Ferrier Road in Winlock, according to the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office.

The 44-year-old Winlock man was visiting people on the property, Cmdr. Dusty Breen said this morning.

Deputies were called about 4:50 p.m. when he was found deceased in the yard, according to Breen.

There were no obvious signs of trauma, he said, and detectives will be waiting for further information from the coroner’s office.

News brief: Large family displaced from Toledo house fire

Wednesday, September 16th, 2015

By Sharyn  L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

Nobody was hurt but a house was severely damaged and it’s occupants have been displaced following a fire yesterday in Toledo.

Fire Investigator Ted McCarty said he believed they are a mother and three children, plus three grandchildren who resided at the home on the 800 block of Jackson Highway South.

Firefighters called about 1:30 p.m. yesterday learned it started in a pump house, spread to the adjacent garage and then to the house itself, according to McCarty and Lewis County Fire District 2 Chief Dave Germain.

The Red Cross is assisting them with housing, McCarty said.

McCarty said he didn’t think he was going to be able to pinpoint the exact cause, as the pump house was too far gone.

The flames got into the eves and then the attic and partially collapsed the roof, he said. The kitchen and laundry room were gutted, with other parts of the residence sustaining smoke and water damage.

The family lost a lot of their belongings, he said.

McCarty took the opportunity to remind the public that renters insurance isn’t all that expensive, as unfortunately the residents didn’t have it.

He estimated the repairs could be in the neighborhood of $40,000.

News brief: Little boy escapes stranger who tries to pull him off his bicycle

Wednesday, September 16th, 2015

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

Police say they don’t know if an encounter in a Centralia neighborhood yesterday was an attempted theft of a bicycle or attempted kidnapping of the child riding it.

Officers were called just after 5:30 p.m. and spoke to the 7-year-old victim who said he was riding in the area near his home in the 1500 block of Delaware Avenue when a male approached him, according to the Centralia Police Department.

He said the male suddenly grabbed him and tried to pull him off his bike, Officer John Panco said. The male was unsuccessful and the little boy was able to ride away, Panco said.

Officers checked the area, but didn’t locate a suspect, according to police.

The child’s description was vague, Panco said. The subject was described as a white male, with black clothing and black shoes, he said.

The boy said he’d never seen the person before and wasn’t sure if he would recognize him if he saw him again, according to Panco.

The responding officer indicated in the report it’s not known if he was trying to take the bicycle or the victim, Panco said.